Travel agents aren’t like the rest of us. We occasionally consume travel; they sell it every day. We’re amateurs; they’re pros.
[st_content_ad]When it comes to opinions about travel services and suppliers, we have our own, based on our limited experience; they have their opinions, based on their experience, plus feedback from thousands of customers.
[st_related]Wallet Watch: Airport Parking Costs How Much?[/st_related]
Travel Weekly, a trade publication for travel agents, has just published results of its 2017 Readers Choice Awards, with the top vote-getters in 77 categories, including best airline, best hotel, best cruise line, best travel insurance, and so forth.
Here are some of the more consumer-relevant picks:
- Best domestic airline: Delta
- Best international airline: Virgin Atlantic
- Best first/business class: Emirates
- Best global network: United
- Best airline overall: Delta
- Best car rental: Hertz (both domestic and international)
- Best domestic hotel chain: Marriott
- Best luxury chain: Ritz-Carlton
- Best upscale chain: Hilton
- Best mid-priced chain: Hampton Inn
- Best boutique chain: W Hotels
- Best hotel chain overall: Marriott
- Best domestic cruise line: Carnival
- Best Caribbean line: Royal Caribbean
- Best Europe line: Celebrity
- Best luxury line: Crystal
- Best cruise cuisine: Oceania
- Best cruise line overall: Royal Caribbean
No doubt you have opinions on some of the above “best of” categories, as do I. Always room for a second opinion, right?
Reader Reality Check
Any strong disagreements with the travel agents’ opinions?
More from SmarterTravel:
- The Airlines That Serve the Healthiest (and Unhealthiest) Meals
- These Are the 10 Busiest North American Air Routes
- How to Minimize the Stress of Holiday Travel
After 20 years working in the travel industry, and 15 years writing about it, Tim Winship knows a thing or two about travel. Follow him on Twitter @twinship.