Want unlimited data while traveling? The Skyroam Solis hot spot solves multiple problems that frequent international travelers encounter. Here are some of the highlights:
Skyroam Solis Review:
Price and Where to Buy: $150 on Amazon.
How the Skyroam Solis Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. The device avoids international roaming fees, which can be confusing and expensive. It provides a secure and safe connection, much better than shady free Wi-Fi networks. You can also avoid hotel Wi-Fi fees (which are more common in other continents) as you can connect up to five devices. It’s much more convenient than a SIM card (which have to be switched by country or continent) since it works in more than 120 countries.
- Value: 9/10. It’s expensive to purchase at first, but the $9 per day pass, once you bite the bullet of the initial up-front cost, is a steal. The price is completely worth it if you’re traveling with a group or family as you can split the costs of either the device or the day passes. To put it in perspective, I compared this to buying an international phone plan. For me to purchase a reasonable-usage international data plan with my phone company costs about $80USD, which is good for 30 days, but the data usage probably would only last me at maximum two weeks. If I take two international trips a year, I’d already have spent a minimum of $160
- Portability & Durability: 9/10. The Skyroam Solis comes with a handy hard case to protect it when traveling and it weighs about seven ounces, so you can carry it in a backpack or purse. The battery life also lasts about 16 hours.
- Cool Factor: 9/10. Not being overcharged for data usage while abroad is cool to me.
Final Verdict: For travelers who often take trips overseas and want to use your phone as you would at home, the Skyroam Solis is a smart purchase.
More from SmarterTravel:
- The Best International Phone Plans for Travelers
- 8 Innovative Phone Cases and Accessories for Travel
- Have an Old iPhone? Here’s the Airport Perk You’re Missing
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.