It’s no secret that millennial travel is a huge trend, with many group tour operators offering special budget-conscious trips, or ones with age limits. REI is the latest to join game, with nine new tour offerings across four different geographical areas.
For now, REI is focusing on a few bucket-list-worthy adventure trips. From Colombia off-the-beaten-path (think Medellin, not Cartagena) to camping in the Sonoran Desert, the trips are focused on “prioritizing experiences over things.” All of the options have an emphasis on local and active travel.
[st_related]5 Myths About Millenial Travel and Why You Shouldn’t Believe Them[/st_related]
Each trip is crafted with the millennial mindset. “Our team has taken great care to design highly active itineraries with the right balance of downtime, and most importantly that facilitate a community for younger travelers to travel deeply and responsibly with their peers,” said Justin Wood, senior manager of adventure travel at REI, in a press release.
Budget and value are front of mind, with trips offering modest accommodations, cheap meals, and no hidden fees. Prices start at $850 for REI members. And if saving money is on your mind, REI is expanding its used gear and rental programs, so you can save more by renting your active gear through the company’s retail locations.
For fun, I asked some of my SmarterTravel millennial-aged colleagues their thoughts on the matter: Nevin Spearman, who hasn’t been on an organized group tour before says he’d consider an REI trip and, “I like the active offerings, and some in the U.S. mean cheaper airfare.” His top pick is the Great Smoky Mountains – Hops, Hikes & Rapids itinerary.
Cara Sweeney, who has been on an organized group tour with her family about 10 years ago says she’d consider an REI trip and, “[the options] seem really unique and awesome. I would likely want to encourage a friend or two to attend the same trip as me.” Her trip of choice is also the Great Smoky Mountains – Hops, Hikes & Rapids itinerary.
Why the 35 age limit? According to the press release, 20 percent of REI members are in the 21 to 35 age range, but REI’s website says, “we won’t card you.” So if you have the mindset of millennial and these trips are attractive to you, you’ll probably fit right in.
Find more information on REI’s Under-35 adventures here, and below.
REI Under 35 Trips:
- Colombia Explorer – Medellin, Lost City Trek, Tayrona Beaches | Under 35
- Peru Multisport – Machu Picchu to Rainbow Mountain | Under 35
- Sonoran Desert Stars – Hike, Camp, MTB, Repeat | Under 35
- Backpacking Joshua Tree | Under 35
- Great Smoky Mountains – Hops, Hikes & Rapids | Under 35
- Wild Whistler Backpacking | Under 35
- Amalfi Coast & Sicily – Hike, Eat, Summit | Under 35
- Greek Islands Wanderer – Hike, Feast, Explore | Under 35
- Vietnam Multisport – Spectacular Spelunking | Under 35
More from SmarterTravel:
- 9 Underrated Places to Visit in Europe with Nonstop Flights from U.S. Cities
- 8 Essential Tips for Group Travel
- 10 Trips Millenials Will Love