What is it: A pair of adjustable, folding walking/hiking/trekking poles.
Price and Where to Buy It: At the time of writing, the York Nordic Travel Folding Walking and Hiking Poles were on sale for $64.99 on York Nordic’s website and Amazon. SmarterTravel readers can use the promo code: NORDIC10 on Amazon for an extra 10 percent off.
- The poles can be adjusted from 42.5″ to 53″ and will fit anyone from 5’2 to 6’6
- There is a shorter version available for people under 5’2
- Poles collapse down to just 15.5″
- Each pole weighs just 9 ounces
- Made from lightweight, but sturdy aircraft grade aluminum
- Flip locks quickly snap and stay in place for a secure fit
- Easily pack in to the included nylon travel bag
- Comes with a screw-on basket for snow or sand and detachable rubber feet
- Solid tungsten steel tip won’t slip
- Choose between nordic or trek/ski grips
- 5-year warranty
- Be aware that you can only bring trekking and hiking poles on a plane in your checked baggage (not carry-on).
How it Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. If you ever use a walking or hiking pole, these are perfect for any terrain.
- Value: 9/10. With the sale price, these are on the lower cost range of most folding hiking poles, and the quality is great.
- Portability: 10/10. These are very lightweight and fold down to be easy to pack.
- Cool Factor: 8/10. Hiking poles aren’t the coolest item, but this portable option is pretty nifty.
Final Verdict: We will be using the York Nordics the next time we head out on a hike—no matter how far away it is. And, our walking experience over tough terrain will be much better for it.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Photo: York Nordic)