What is it: A noise and light blocking curtain used in hotels, available for your home.
Price and Where to Buy: Prices start at $139 on Residential Acoustics’ website. SmarterTravel readers can save 10 percent off orders by using the promo code: SleepGreat10.
- Blocks between 60 to 90 percent of outside noise
- Blocks more than 99 percent of outside light
- Insulates your windows, which means you’ll need to use less heating and air conditioning
- Easily slides open or closed on the track
- Custom measured/made for your window
- Lots of color combinations available
- Made from a nice canvas fabric
- The larger size curtain we tested had an obvious seam sewn down the middle
- The curtain hangs below the metal track, leaving the hooks and metal tracks exposed and very noticeable, which was aesthetically unappealing
- Very heavy (between 10-15 lbs) per curtain
How it Rates:
- Usefulness: 8/10. If you live somewhere that’s noisy or get a lot of light in your bedroom that disturbs your sleep, the AcoustiTrac can really help
- Value: 7/10. Depending on the size, these are not that expensive for made-to-order curtains
- Cool Factor: 6/10. The curtain themselves are nice fabric, but we didn’t love the middle seam on the larger curtain or the exposed track.
Final Verdict: Desperate to block out light and street noise? These curtains can help, and will also lower your heating and cooling bills.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (Photo: Lucy)