As recurring travel promotions go, National Car Rental’s “One Two Free” has been a perennial winner. Unlike Marriott’s MegaBonus offer, which has shed considerable value in its last few iterations, the just-announced version of “One Two Free” is potentially more generous than it was in past years.
Through January 31, 2016, Emerald Club members can earn one free rental day for every two rentals of a mid-sized or larger car for two or more days. Additional bonus points may be earned as follows:
- A one-time bonus of 300 points for rentals in Latin America and the Caribbean (new this year)
- A one-time bonus of 300 points for rentals in Europe
- Up to 10 300-point bonuses for referring friends who subsequently rent
- Up to four 75-point bonuses for using the National mobile app to rent
- A one-time 25-point bonus for using the Emerald Reserve service
- A one-time 25-point bonus visiting the Drive Alliance website
In Emerald Club, a free rental day is earned after as few as 600 points.
A maximum of 50 free nights may be earned through the promotion.
Registration is required.
Deal or No Deal
In a best-case scenario based on rentals, this promotion delivers one free day after four paid days. Assuming they’re all for the same class of car, that amounts to getting five rental days for the price of four, a 20 percent discount. That’s good value. And it could be even better if some of the points are earned cost-free — for referring a friend, for instance.
This is a promotion that does everything right:
- The qualification hurdle — two rentals of two or more days — is reasonable and achievable. And the addition of alternative points-earning options makes it more achievable still.
- The promotion is in effect for more than five months, giving program members plenty of time to qualify.
- There’s more than adequate time to use any free rental days earned.
If you’re looking for a way to make your rental-car dollar go further, this promotion may be just the ticket.
This article originally appeared on FrequentFlier.com.