In this year’s 2015 Labor Day Travel Forecast, AAA reports a one-percent increase in travel over the holiday weekend over last year, which means 35.5 million travelers will be out looking to soak up the last few days of summer.
RELATED: Best Labor Day Getaways
What’s the big deal? Numbers-wise, this is the most travelers the report has predicted since 2008. The report credits income gains, rising household net worth, and a better housing market for giving Americans more disposable income with which to travel.
What Else You Need to Know
- 85.8 percent (30.4 million) of travelers will be traveling by car, while 7.4 percent (2.6 million) will fly.
- Gas prices are also expected to be the lowest in over 10 years, further increasing auto travel.
- Average airfares are down one percent (Thanks low gas prices!), while hotel rates are slightly higher compared to 2014.
- Check local travel warnings and traffic reports to optimize your road trip if traveling by car. Haven’t tried Waze yet? This might be a good opportunity.
- Most public transportation systems will run on a Sunday schedule on the holiday Monday.
- Download our list of 10 Best Apps for Road Trips.
- Consider traveling in off-peak hours if you have a flexible schedule in order to avoid traffic.
Have a safe and fun Labor Day weekend from SmarterTravel!
(Photo: Thinkstock/iStock) (Photo: AAA)
More from SmarterTravel:
- The Best One-Tank Road Trips for Summer
- 10 Items You Must Bring With You on a Serious Road Trip
- 7 Safety Tips for Road Trips
Ashley Rossi is always ready for her next trip. Follow her on Twitter @ashley_stravel for more advice about travel hacks and destination ideas.