In the first such tie up between an airline and Airbnb, members of Virgin America’s Elevate program can now earn frequent-flyer points for booking stays at Airbnb properties or for becoming an Airbnb host.
Here’s how the bonusing works:
- First-time Airbnb bookers will earn a 1,500-point bonus and a $20 credit
- Current Airbnb customers earn 1 Elevate point per $1 spent
- New Airbnb hosts earn a 20,000-point bonus
All the above points-earning offers will remain in effect through November 1, 2017, suggesting that the relationship is in a trial phase. Assuming it turns out to be a win-win for Virgin America and Airbnb, as is likely, that end date would presumably be extended or dropped completely.
Airbnb also has a marketing relationship with American Express, which allows Membership Rewards members to redeem their points for Airbnb gift cards, and to earn a $50 rebate for Airbnb stays of $100 or more charged to an eligible card through December 31.
So, for an especially good deal, charge your first Airbnb stay to an American Express card to earn a $50 rebate from American Express, plus Membership Rewards points, plus Virgin America points and a $20 credit. It adds up!
Reader Reality Check
Have you stayed at Airbnb homes on recent trips?
More From Smartertravel:
- The Definitive Guide for Airbnb Newbies
- Airbnb Wants to Plan Your Whole Trip
- How Airbnb and Uber Are Changing Travel
This article originally appeared on FrequentFlier.com.